Lanivtsi Old Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It appears on a map in Yizkor’s Sefer Lanovits issued in 1970. It is unknown when the cemetery was vandalised.
Jews started to settled down in Lanivtsi at the end of the 16th century. The Jewish community emerged in 1767. In the 18th – early 20th century, the local Jews were engaged in trades, crafts and agriculture. In 1847, 523 Jews lived in Lanivtsi. In the second half of the 19th century, a synagogue operated. The Jewish population reached 1,174 (46% of the total population) in 1897. In 1905, a Jewish community suffered from a pogrom. Three synagogues existed by that time. Since 1917, the Zionist branches Revisionists, Mizrahi, Beitar, Ha-Halutz, Ha-Shomer Ha-Tsair were present in the town. In the 1920s, a yeshiva and a Tarbut school were opened. An amateur drama circle operated in the town. The Jewish population declined to 649 (30% of the total population) in 1921. On July 3, 1941, 60 Jews were murdered by the Wermacht troops immediately after they occupied the town. In February 1942, a ghetto was established. On August 2, 1942, the ghetto was liquidated, and 1,833 Jews from Lanivtsi and the surrounding villages were executed. In 2003, several Jews resided here.