Lagow Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Poland
Region
Świetokrzyskie Voivodeship
District
Kielce
Settlement
Łagów
Site address
The cemetery does not have an address. Taking road No.74 from the direction of Łagów, take the first right after the intersection with Antoni Małka Street. The cemetery is on the left hand side of the road, about 300m past the turn.
GPS coordinates
50.77775, 21.06914
Perimeter length
328 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery is located in a forested area, surrounded by farmland on three sides. Trees and dense bushes grow in the cemetery area and the ground is covered with broken branches and foliage.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preservedThere are around a dozen stones with no inscriptions, which may be fragments of matzevot. According to the survey team, there are 6 large pieces of matzevot located in very dense bushes in the south-western part of the cemetery, which is inaccessible.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
State
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

From the 11th to the 14th century, Łagów was associated with the Wrocław bishopric. Jewish settlement began to develop in the 1880’s although, until the mid-19th century, there was a formal ban on the permanent settlement of Jews in the town. In 1827, 60 Jews lived in the town, constituting 4.5% of the total population. In 1921, the number of Jews increased to 1,269, constituting 50.2% of the total population. In 1937, 1,600 people belonged to the Jewish community. The German occupation began on September 7, 1939 and Łagów was almost completely destroyed. The Jewish cemetery was also seriously damaged. In 1941–1942, Jews from other cities, including Vienna and Radom, were transported to the Łagów Ghetto. In the fall of 1942, they were deported to Treblinka. Old men and children were murdered on the spot.

The cemetery was established in 1867 when the Jews from Łagów were trying to create an independent synagogue supervision. It is located west of the town, between the National Road E-74 and a dirt road leading to Zaręby. In the 1960’s, the trapezoidal area of the cemetery (about 0.5 hectares) was covered with poplar trees. The last known burial took place in 1942. During and after World War II the cemetery fell into ruin and it was closed in 1964. No tombstones have survived.