Kuz’myno Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish cemetery in Kuz`myno was established in the 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1851. The cemetery is depicted on a cadastral map of 1865. The cemetery was used presumably until WWII, although the latest preserved gravestone dates from 1935.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the Kuz`myno area in the mid-18th century. In 1880, there were 152 Jews living in the town. In 1910, the Jewish population had increased to 154. In 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population decreased to 129 individuals. Jews were engaged in agriculture and commerce. In 1930, the town’s Jewish population numbered 124 individuals. Hungarians arrived in Kuz`myno in March 1939, with the consequence that Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. By 1941, the Jewish population numbered 148. Jews from the area were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. A few families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Kuz`myno were deported to Auschwitz late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.