Kutjevo Jewish Cemetery
Kutjevo is a town in eastern Croatia in the Slavonia region, northeast of the town of Požega. In 1232 there was a monastery in the area which was later destroyed in the 16th century during the Turkish invasion. A 1545 Turkish document described Kutjevo as a market town with 22 households and a mixed Catholic and Muslim population. According to the Turkish census of 1579, there were 60 Muslim and 30 Christian houses in the town. After the expulsion of the Turks, the Muslim population left for Bosnia, and were replaced by Croatian Catholics from Bosnia. In 1702 there were 59 households in Kutjevo and 119 households in 1740. In 1910 Kutjevo had a population of 1,622 which was 84% Croatian, 8% German, 3% Hungarian, and about 2% Serb and Czech. The primary industries of the local economy were viticulture and winemaking. Jews settled in Kutjevo in the 19th century and totaled 18 Jews in 1857, and between 18 and 33 Jews in 1880. By the 20th century, only a few Jews lived in the town.
The Jewish cemetery was established in 1875. After World War II it was abandoned and ruined, and only a few remains of monuments and tombs remained at the end of the 20th century.