Kruti Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Odessa
District
Kodyma
Settlement
Kruti
Site address
Kruti Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
47.95388, 29.19496
Perimeter length
430 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
Number of existing gravestones
Around 300
Date of oldest tombstone
1752 (earliest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1904
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
Locals say that remains of a beit-tahara fundament can be found near the cemetery. ESJF teams were unable to investigate further, as the site was completely covered with bushes.
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but the earliest found gravestone dates from 1752. There are no post-war burials, which means that the Jewish community has not been re-established. The cemetery was partially destroyed either during WWII, or after.

The first mention of the Jewish community of Kruti, according to epigraphic data collected in 2018 by the ESJF, dates back to 1750. It is known that Jews lived in the town during the late 18th century. In 1849, the number of Jews residing in the town numbered 2,068. The Jewish population increased to 2,389 individuals (50% of the total population) by 1897. From 1910, a Talmud Tora was operating here. By 1914, five synagogues existed in Kruti. Two chemists, a warehouse for pharmacy goods, two forest warehouses, a hotel, a mill and 54 stalls were under Jewish ownership. In 1930, the Jewish population numbered around 1,800 (90% of the total population). The Jewish community of Kruti was exterminated during the Shoah.