Kropyvnytsky Old Jewish Cemetery
According to the Commission on Preservation of Jewish Heritage (KSEN), the cemetery was established in 1831. It was closed for burials in 1896. All of the tombstones on the site were stolen during the Nazi occupation. The cemetery site was built over in 1961.
Kropyvnytsky (historically also known as Elisavetgrad, Elizavetgrad, Zinovyevsk , Kirovo, Kirovograd) was established as a fortress named after st. Elisaveta in 1754, and became the town Elisavetgrad in 1775.
From 1782, Elisavetgrad was a regional center (uezdnyj gorod) in the Novorossian Governorate (Novorossijskaya gubernia), and from 1806, it was a regional center of the Kherson Governorate (Khersonskaya gubernia).
In 1797, Elisavetgrad had no Jewish population. By 1799, there were 3 Jewish merchants and 395 other Jewish residents, in 1803, 7 Jewish merchants and 567 other Jewish residents were listed. In 1854, there were 2323 Jewish residents; in 1861, 8073 Jewish residents as well as 3 synagogues and 15 Jewish prayer houses were listed in Elisavetgrad. In 1897, the Jewish population comprised almost 24000 of the 61488 inhabitants of the city.
In April 1881, Elisavetgrad was one of the first cities where the pogrom originated. In 1905, another pogrom took place. In 1909 Elisavetgrad listed 17 Jewish schools: a talmud-torah, general and vocational schools, a Saturday school as well as a number of chadarim. The Jewish population of Elisavetgrad suffered greatly during World War I and the civil war in Russia. In 1919, a pogrom claimed a huge number of victims, between 1500 and 3000 people
After 1922, Elisavetgrad became a part of Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. The Jewish life was oppressed, religious and community institutions and Zionist newspapers were closed. In 1923, the Jewish population numbered 18,871; in 1926, 18,358 (27% of the city); in 1939, the Jewish population was 14,641 people. In 1924 it was renamed Zinovyevsk, it was then named Kirovo on the 7th of december 1934, and then on January 10th 1939, it was renamed again to Kirovograd.
Kirovograd was occupied by the Germans between August 5th 1941, and January 8th 1944. In 1941, many Jews fled to the East or were drafted to the Red Army, but most remained behind. The vast majority of them perished.
After the war some Jews came back, and the Jewish community was reestablished. A synagogue was opened in 1946, in a private house, however it was closed in 1957. In 1959, the Jewish population numbered 5702 (4.5%), 5202 (2.7%) in 1970 and 4460 (2%) in 1979.
In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Kirovograd became a part of the independent Ukraine. Today a tiny but active Jewish community exists in Kropyvnytskyi, which was renamed again in 2016 due to decommunisation efforts in Ukraine
The old Jewish cemetery was established in 1831 and closed for burials in 1896. All gravestones were looted during the Nazi occupation, and the plot was overbuilt in 1961.