Krasnohrad Old Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The cemetery is marked on a map from 1872 and cannot be found on maps from 1941. It may have operated in the late 19th century and was demolished in the pre-war era when the defensive rampart near the cemetery was partially destroyed during the construction of the railway.
When Krasnohrad (Rus., Ukr. Красноград, Yid. קראַסנאָגראַד, until 1922 Konstantinograd – Ukr. Костянтиноград, Rus. Константиноград) received city status in 1798, it already had a Jewish community of around 150 people. The oldest pinkas records (a traditional ledger from a Jewish communal organization) were dated to 1810.
During the 19th century, the Jewish population grew from 234 in 1847 to 1,099 (53%) in 1897. In the early 20th century, the community maintained 3 synagogues, a cemetery, a talmud-torah, a modernized cheder, a private school, a school for poor children as well as a loan fund. Poalei Zionists were active in the town. The Jews were attacked in pogroms during the Civil War of 1918–21. In the Soviet period, the Jewish population fell and stood at 237 people in 1939.
Around 90 Jews from Krasnohrad were murdered by the Nazis near the village of Natalyne in June 1942. According to the 2001 census, there were 10 Jews living in Krasnohrad and the surrounding areas.
According to the Jewish Encyclopedia of 1908, the oldest tombstone in the cemetery dated from around 1800. It is not known when exactly the cemetery was demolished. It may have happened in the interwar period, as the cemetery is not marked on 1941 maps.