Krasne Jewish Cemetery
According to Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the 17th century.
According to Karaite folklore Krasne was founded in the 13th century by 40 Karaite families. From 1569 the region belonged to The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Jews are first mentioned in Krasne in 1648 when they fled to Bar hoping to escape the Khmelnitsky massacres. In 1765, the Jewish population was 466. In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia). The Jewish population grew to 1747 in 1847, and 2590 in 1897, which was 92% of the total population of 2884. At the end of the 19th century, Krasne had a synagogue and 4 prayer houses. Most of the shops in town belonged to Jews, as were most of its craftsmen.
After 1922, Krasne became part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. In 1926, the Jewish population was 2002 of 3183. Krasne had a Jewish council and a Jewish (Yiddish) elementary school.
The Germans occupied the town in the second half of July 1941. After Krasne was annexed by Transnistria, 300 Jews from Bessarabia and Bukovina were deported to the ghetto established in Krasne. In autumn 1942, Jews from the Skazinets camp and other places were also deported to Krasne. Many of Krasne’s Jews perished in the Holocaust.
The Jewish cemetery of Krasne is situated at the eastern outskirts of the town. It was likely established in the 17th century, but today the oldest surviving matzevot date to the early 20th century.