Krakovets New Jewish Cemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on maps from the early 20th century. It was demolished in the 1960s. The beginnings of the Jewish community can be traced to the mid-17th century. In 1765, 318 Jews were living in Krakovets. In the 1830s, Jacob Lieberman headed the rabbinical court. The peak of the Jewish population was 1,003 (53% of the total population) in 1880. In the late 19th century, many Jews were employed in trade. In 1900, the Jewish population numbered 680 (38% of the total population). In the early 20th century, three synagogues and two Jewish cemeteries were in operation. In 1910, the Jewish population was 668 (38% of the total population). Zionist organisations and branches, including “Yidishe leze farain”, “Ahuva”, “Beitar” and “Akiva” were active in the 1920s and 1930s. By 1931, the Jewish population had decreased to 340. In summer 1941, Krakovets was occupied by Wehrmacht units. In 1942, 65 Jews were killed by the Nazis. The remaining Jewish population was expelled to the ghetto of Yavoriv in December 1942. In January 1943, more than 20 Jews, who had been in hiding, were found and murdered.