Kozova Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was not marked on cadastral maps of 1846, but according to epigraphic data, it already existed in the 1830s. Fenced by ESJF in 2018.
Jews began to settle in the town in the early 17th century. In 1765, 364 Jews lived in Kozova. Jacob Reinman (1778–1814) served as a rabbi in 1798. Yosef Rotenberg (died in 1852), a son-in-law of Zvi-Hirsch Aichenstein of Zhidachov, was a rabbi in 1840–52. In 1880, the number of the Jewish population was 1,510 (37,1% of the total population) and declined to 1,391 (28,3% of the total population) in 1921. In the early 20th century, the tzaddik Moshe Langner (1878–1945) lived in the town. 300 Jewish families lost their houses in a fire of 1906. In 1909, a Hebrew school was opened. In 1916, 57 Jews were deported to Ternopil. In the interwar period, the branches of the Zionist organization HaRevizionistim and youth movement Beitar were active in Kozova. In 1931, 1,570 Jews resided here. The Wehrmacht occupation began on July 3, 1941. A pogrom claimed the lives of 300 Jews was staged in October 1941. On September 21, 1942, around 1,000 Jews were sent to the Belzec death camp. In 1942, About 2,000 Jews were imprisoned in a ghetto in Kozova. On June 12, 1943, the Kozova ghetto was liquidated. In 2003, a few Jewish families resided in Kozova.