Korostyshiv New Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The cemetery was established presumably no later than the late 19th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1892. The expedition team could not determine if the earliest preserved tombstone was brought from the Old Korostyshiv Jewish cemetery however. The cemetery is marked on the Russian map of 1931 and on the German map of 1922.
Jews first began to settle in Korostyshiv (Ukr. Коростишів, Rus. Коростышев, Yid. קאָרשעוו) in the late 16th century, and a synagogue is mentioned as early as 1602. The Jewish population grew from 316 in 1765, to 2,657 in 1847, and had grown to 4,160 Jewish residents (53% of the town) by 1897. As of 1885, the community maintained a synagogue and two prayer houses. In the early 20th century, the town had a Jewish hospital and a loan fund. During the Civil War of 1918–1921, the community survived several pogroms. Under Communist rule, Jews from Korostyshiv founded 2 agricultural communes and 2 collective farms in Kherson District. Yiddish-language schools operated in the 1920s and 1930s. There were 2,170 Jews (19%) in Korostyshiv in 1939. After the Germans arrived in July 1941, the majority of the Jews remaining in Korostyshiv and in the neighbouring communities were murdered. After the war, a number of Jews returned to the town and the synagogue was reopened in 1946. Most Jews emigrated to the USA or Israel in the 1980s and 1990s. As of 2001, there were 41 Jews in Korostyshiv and the neighbouring area.
The exact date of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It is marked on maps from 1922 and 1931. The oldest tombstone dates back to 1892, but it is impossible to ascertain whether it was originally placed in its present location or brought from the old cemetery. The pre-burial facilities were built in the 1980s.