Komoro Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Komoró was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The only tombstone preserved in the cemetery dates back to 1939. The cemetery is located within the territory of the local municipal cemetery, though it is separated into its own section.
Komoró is a settlement in the Kisvárda District of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county. There were 35 Jews in the village in 1836, and 25 Jews living in 6 households in 1848. In the subsequent decades, the Jewish population in the settlement reached its peak in 1870 when 88 Jews lived in the town, after which the Jewish population decreased. The population of the Jewish community in the subsequent decades was as follows: 54 in 1880; 43 in 1890; 40 in 1900; 34 in 1910; 9 in 1920; and 6 in 1930. By 1941, while Komoró’s total population was 1,082, only 8 Jews remained in the town. In mid-April 1944, the Jewish residents of Komoró were taken to the Kisvárda Ghetto, from where they were deported to Auschwitz. Only one person returned to the village after the war in 1949; he was the only Jew in the settlement.