Kodnya Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Zhytomyr
District
Zhytomyr
Settlement
Kodnya
Site address
The cemetery is located between No.3 & 5 Skhidna (Zhovtneva) street.
GPS coordinates
50.07373, 28.69456
Perimeter length
219 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is covered with tense seasonal vegetation. The vegetables are growing there. There is a garbage on a place where the broken tombstone was found. The site needs clearing. Neighbours stated that the company “Khimiya” (Chemistry) took and used gravestones from the site to build a foundation. This happened around 60 years ago.The indicated location is a private territory.A neighbor from No.5 Skhidna (Zhovtneva) street, wanted to build something here, however he was not allowed.
Number of existing gravestones
There is 1 stone that may be a fragment of a gravestone. It is illegible.
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Private
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the earliest found gravestone dated to 1912. It can therefore be said that it was established no later than the early 20th century. The cemetery is not marked on maps.

Jews are first mentioned in Kodnya (Ukr., Rus. Кодня, Yid. קאָדניע) in 1593. The community was destroyed during the Chmielnicki uprising of 1648–49 and reemerged in the 18th century. In 1897, the Jewish population of Kodnya was 688 (27% of the town). At that time the community maintained a prayer house. During the Civil War of 1918–21, the Jews were attacked in a number of pogroms and subsequently the Jewish population declined in the interwar period. A Jewish village Soviet was established in Kodnya in the 1920s. After the arrival of the Germans, the Jews of Kodnya were murdered in August 1941.
According to the 1994–95 survey, by the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), the oldest tombstone was dated to 1912. Few of the tombstones are identifiable today. According to local residents, some of the stones were used for construction in the 1960s.

View 3D model