Klishkivtsi Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery was established in the middle of the 19th century. The cemetery was operating after WWII, the latest preserved gravestone relates to 1955. The Jewish community in Klishkivtsi was established in the 18th century. A synagogue and Jewish cemetery operated at that time. The Jews were engaged in trade and crafts, in the 19th and the early 20th century. In 1897, around 1,000 Jews (13% of the total population) resided in Klishkivtsi. In 1911, an only pharmacy in the town was owned by a Jew. In 1930, the Jewish population reduced to 452 (6,3% of the total population). In the 1920s and 30s, a Jewish school operated. In summer, 1941, the German-Romanian forces occupied Klishkivtsi. 240 Jewish residents lived in 1944. During the occupation, the Jews were deported to the Chernivtsi ghetto and extermination camp near Kamenetz-Podolsky. In 1945, more than 50 Jews survived and returned to their hometown. In the late 1940s, Rabbi Mordehai Itskovich Khazin (1918–?) served in a local synagogue. Later, Jewish inhabitants of Klishkivtsi moved to Chernivtsi or Israel. Joseph Leontievich Klishch (1915, Kamenetz-Podolsky – 1943, Paris), a Jewish leader of the French Resistance Movement, spent the early years of his life in Klishkivtsi.