Klevan’ Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Rivne
District
Rivne
Settlement
Klevan’
Site address
Klevan' Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
50.739130,25.978860
Perimeter length
592 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
Concrete panelled fencing with metal gates, installed by ESJF.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is surrounded by privately-owned fields, on which crops are grown. It appears the cemetery was divided into 3 parts, with one section on the hill by the gate; to the West of the gate, where the Ohel is located; and to the Northwest, where the largest section was. The deep ditch in its centre suggests it was partially destroyed. The site is overgrown with trees, bushes, and tall grass, which require clearance.
Number of existing gravestones
360. Some of the tombstones (particularly those made from concrete) show signs of natural deterioration.
Date of oldest tombstone
1741
Date of newest tombstone
1940
Urgency of erecting a fence
Medium
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
In the western section of the cemetery, there is an Ohel dedicated to Rabbi Aharon, student of Besht, for whom no date of death was given. It was installed by the organisation "ohalei tzadikim — gader avot".
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The oldest tombstone’s date relates to the mid 18th century so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. First it appears on Russian map in 1880s and, later, in 1939 on map of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (WIG).