Kisvarsany Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Kisvarsány was established as early as 1836 – the year which is marked on the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery. The latest of the tombstones found in the cemetery was erected in 1938. The cemetery is fenced and is maintained by the municipality of Kisvarsány.
Jews settled in Kisvarsány mostly in the second half of the 19th century. The number of Jews in Kisvarsány increased from 30 in 1840 to 118 in 1880. At that time, more than 14% of the population (813 in total) was Jewish. After this, the Jewish population began to decrease. There were 102 Jewish inhabitants in 1910, 69 in 1920, and 54 in 1930. In 1941, Jews merely accounted for 42 people among the town’s total population of 1,219. The Orthodox community of Kisvarsány had 39 members in 1944, none of whom were taxpayers. The Jewish community had no employees. The community members sometimes donated a few candles for lighting and ceremonial purposes. There used to be a synagogue in Kisvarsány, but it has since been destroyed.