Kiliya Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery already existed in the early 19th century. During World War II and between 1945 and 1981 the site was vandalised. The local Jewish community restored the cemetery site and fixed the gate in the 1990s. The cemetery is operating today.
In 1827 the Jewish population of Kiliya numbered 249. By 1897, the Jewish population had increased to 2,153 (19% of the total population). During the 19th century, Jews were active in trade and handicraft. By 1910, two Jewish vocational schools for men, four synagogues and a cemetery functioned in the town. The same year, the Jewish population reached its peak of 3,018 individuals (20% of the total population). In 1917, the Jews suffered a pogrom. In 1931, a Hebrew Tarbut school and a kindergarten were operating. Jewish youth was able to attend sports groups and organisations of different movements. A library, drama class and Maccabi brass orchestra contributed to the town’s cultural life. Thanks to the work of Zionist organisations, around 50 families and chaluzim had the opportunity to go to Palestine before the beginning of WWII. At the end of July 1941, the majority of Kiliya’s Jewish population was murdered by the Romanian forces. In August 1941, 281 local Jews were interned in a camp and were later deported to Transnistria in October 1941. In 1990, a branch of Hesed was functioning in Kiliya, as did the old Jewish cemetery. In 2002, 50 Jews resided in Kiliya. Among the distinguished Jews of Kiliya, the microbiologist and epidemiologist Fridrich Grinbaum (1896 – 1961) can be mentioned.