Khyriv Old Jewish Сemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was marked on a cadastral map of 1853. The cemetery was demolished and built over in 1960s. Khyriv was founded in 1528 and the Jews were present here from that time. The majority of them were engaged in trade and some – in crafting. In 1859, 574 Jews (30,7% of the total population) lived in Khyriv. The peak of the Jewish population was 1,164 (39,8% of the total population) in 1900. In the early 20th century, the Zionist movement became active. The youth (“Noar Zioni”) and women associations (“Debora”) were popular. Before the WWI, the Jewish children attended hederim for most. In the post-war period, the Jewish population reduced to 919 (34,6% of the total population) by 1921. In 1922, the Hebrew school was opened. 25 girls studied here. During the Nazis’ occupation the Jewish population was presuably liquidated.