Kholmets’ Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Kholmets’ was established in the 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1875. It was used at least until the 1910s. The latest preserved gravestone dates to 1906.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the Kholmets’ area in the late 18th century. In 1880, there were 80 Jews living in the town. In 1910, the population had increased to 83. In 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population decreased to 58 individuals, and by 1930, there were 61 Jews living in the town. Hungarians arrived in Kholmets’ in March 1939, with the consequence that Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. By 1941, the Jewish population numbered 75. Jews from the area were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. Some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Kholmets’ were deported to Auschwitz late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.