Khodorkiv Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was esablished no later than the late 19th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1870. It cannot be found on maps of the region.
The Jewish community of Khodorkiv (Ukr. Ходорків, Rus. Ходорков, Yid. כאָדאָרקעוו) was destroyed during the Chmielnicki uprising of 1948–49. Jews returned in 1720, and the Jewish population grew to around 400 people in 1765. The Jewish community grew from 1,177 in 1847 to 3,672 (53% of the town) in 1897. The community maintained a synagogue and 2 prayer houses. The Jewish community suffered attacks during the Civil War of 1918–21. Around 200 Jews lived in Khodorkiv before WWII. Although some of the Jews were able to evacuate before the arrival of the Germans in the summer of 1941, 149 remained. They were confined in a ghetto and killed on 15 October 1941.
According to the 1994–95 survey by the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), the cemetery may have been established as early as in the 18th century. The oldest tombstone dates back to 1870. After WWII, some of the stones were used for construction.