Khashchuvate Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kirovohrad
District
Gayvoronsky
Settlement
Khashchuvate
Site address
Starting at the exit of Khashchuvate, rive 300 metres in the direction of Moshchne, before turning onto the road to Kolodistoye. Continue for 800 metres before turning right and carrying on for another 100 metres, at which point the cemetery should be located to the left of the road.
GPS coordinates
48.3289, 29.97026
Perimeter length
712 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
Not fenced
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
There are traces of a stone wall around the cemetery, and a ditch is visible around the boundaries of the site. The cemetery is located in the woods. Apparently there was once a masonry wall. The site is overgrown with vegetation and trees, and will require clearance to be made accessible.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved. There are stone fragments on the site, which may once have been tombstones.
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
State
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

According to IAJGS, the cemetery was established in the 18th century and was demolished during WWII.

Khashchuvate is known to have existed since 1362 under the name Kachuchinka, belonging to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In early 15th century it was renamed to Khashchevatoe or Khashchevaty. From 1569, the region belonged to Bratzlav povit of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia).

Jews first settled in Khashchevatoye in the late 18th century. In 1897 the local 3,266 Jews comprised 71% of the total population. Khashchuvate at that time had two synagogues. The Jewish population of Khashchuvate suffered during World War I and the civil war in Russia. On April 22nd 1918, the Jews of Khashchevatoye suffered a pogrom in which 9 people were wounded. In 1920, another pogrom in Khashchuvate claimed a number of victims.

After 1922, Khashchuvate became a part of Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. In 1926 approximately 260 Jews made their living working on three Jewish kolkhozes. The town had a Jewish council and a Yiddish school. Jewish artisans were members of cooperatives. In 1926, the Jewish population of 3170 comprised around 56% of the town. In the 1930’s, the Jews of Khashchuvate along with their neighbors suffered greatly due to the Holodomor.

In 1941, many Jews fled Eastward but some remained behind. Khashchuvate was occupied by the Germans between July 29th 1941, and March 13th 1944. All of the Jewish population was murdered in February 1942.

In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Khashchuvate became a part of the independent Ukraine.

The old Jewish cemetery of Khashchuvate was apparently established in the 18th century and is totally demolished.

View 3D model