Khashchuvate New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kirovohrad
District
Gayvoronsky
Settlement
Khashchuvate
Site address
The cemetery is located opposite the house on 2 Michurina street.
GPS coordinates
48.3024, 29.9526
Perimeter length
381 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is fenced, with an open gate.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Fenced and guarded cemetery. The cemetery is clean and generally well-maintained. The cemetery is well-maintained.
Number of existing gravestones
Approximately 500 gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1940 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2019 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

According to IAJGS, the cemetery was established in 1942. This assertion is supported by the ESJF team’s findings, with the oldest tombstone found during the survey dating to 1940.

Khashchuvate is known to have existed since 1362 under the name Kachuchinka, belonging to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In early 15th century it was renamed to Khashchevatoe or Khashchevaty. From 1569, the region belonged to Bratzlav povit of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia).

Jews first settled in Khashchevatoye in the late 18th century. In 1897 the local 3,266 Jews comprised 71% of the total population. Khashchuvate at that time had two synagogues. The Jewish population of Khashchuvate suffered during World War I and the civil war in Russia. On April 22nd 1918, the Jews of Khashchevatoye suffered a pogrom in which 9 people were wounded. In 1920, another pogrom in Khashchuvate claimed a number of victims.

After 1922, Khashchuvate became a part of Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. In 1926 approximately 260 Jews made their living working on three Jewish kolkhozes. The town had a Jewish council and a Yiddish school. Jewish artisans were members of cooperatives. In 1926, the Jewish population of 3170 comprised around 56% of the town. In the 1930’s, the Jews of Khashchuvate along with their neighbors suffered greatly due to the Holodomor.

In 1941, many Jews fled Eastward but some remained behind. Khashchuvate was occupied by the Germans between July 29th 1941, and March 13th 1944. All of the Jewish population was murdered in February 1942.

In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Khashchuvate became a part of the independent Ukraine.

The new Jewish cemetery of Khashchuvate was established in the 1940s and is in use and well kept.

View 3D model