Keretsky Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Zakarpattia
District
Svalyava
Settlement
Keretsky
Site address
Keretsky Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
48.47803, 23.2259
Perimeter length
68 meters
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
Type of the fence
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is clean of vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
4 fragments
Date of oldest tombstone
1820
Date of newest tombstone
1842
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

Presumably Jewish Cemetery in Kerecky was established in the early 19th century. Oldest one among of existing gravestones relates to 1820 and latest one to 1842.

Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Kerecky in the first half 19th century. In 1840 and 1851 there were 9 Jews. In 1880 the Jewish population had increased to 75 (4,8% of the total population). By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population had increased to 252. Jews were involved in the day-to-day life of Kerecky: they were tradesmen and farmers. Hungarian forces arrived in the town in March 1939, with the consequence that the Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. There were 327 Jews living in Kerecky in 1941. Some Jews were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. In August 1941 some Jews without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamyanets’-Podils’kyy in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Kerecky were deported to Auschwitz in mid-May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.

View 3D model