Kamyanka-Buz’ka Old Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It appears on Austro-Hungarian maps of the 1880s. But most probably the cemetery was founded much earlier, in 17-18th century. The first records of Jews date to 1465. In 1589, the Jewish community obtained the right to purchase houses and engage in trade. In 1627, the community got permission to build a synagogue. 552 Jews lived in Kamyanka in 1765. In 1837, Sholom Rosenfeld (1800–1852) founded the Hasidic dynasty. In the late 19th – early 20th century, the Jewish population was constantly growing from 2,922 (47.8% of the total population) in 1880 to 3,549 (43.8% of the total population) in 1910, it reached the peak of 3,142 people and almost the half of the total population 48.4% in 1890. During WWI the condition of the Jewish community worsen, and by 1921, it numbered 2,685 (41.2% of the total population). In the interwar period, the Zionist movement was popular among the Jews. In 1931, the Jewish population increased again to 3,283. On June 28, 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied Kamyanka. On September 15, 1942, around 1,500 Jews were deported to the Belzec death camp.