Kamiensk Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Kamieńsk is located south of the town, near the village of Mokradła (now part of Kamieńsk). The area of the cemetery is approximately 1.69 hectares. The cemetery’s establishment date is unknown, though the oldest tombstone was likely erected in 1831. According to eyewitness accounts, the cemetery still had preserved matzevot in 1978. By decision of local authorities, part of the cemetery area was taken over by Warszawskie Przedsiębiorstwo Robót Drogowych. A sports shooting range was established on the remaining part of the cemetery. The municipal shooting range is still in the cemetery.
Kamieńsk was granted town rights in 1374 and was founded as a private town. The beginnings of Jewish settlement most likely date to the end of the 18th century. In 1897, the town was inhabited by 787 Jews, who constituted about 42% of the total population. In 1921, there were 856 Jews in the town (42% of the total population). The Jewish community, though poor, mainly worked in small trade and crafts. In September 1939, Kamieńsk was almost completely destroyed, and the Jews fled to nearby villages. In the fall of 1942, there were still about 500 Jews in the town who were deported to the extermination camp in Treblinka in October.