Kałuszyn Old Jewish Cemetery
The first confirmed records of Jews in Kałuszyn date to the second half of the 18th century. In 1849, Tzadik Awraham Elchanan Unger—a founder of the local Hasidic dynasty continued by Awi Ezra Zelig Unger and Jaakow Icchak Unger—settled in the town. Rabbis Uri Jehoszua, Asher Elchanan, Aszkenazy Rabinowicz, and Meir Rabinowicz were also connected with Kałuszyn. In 1921, 5,033 Jews lived in the town (82% of the entire population), most of whom were killed in 1942 by the Germans. After the war, several survivors were murdered in the town and its vicinity.
The cemetery is in the eastern part of the town, between Warszawska Street, Pocztowa Street, and Polna Street. The cemetery’s establishment date is unknown, though it was probably established in the 18th century. In 1829, the cemetery was fenced, and, at the beginning of the 20th century, it was enclosed with a stone and concrete wall. The cemetery fell into disrepair during World War II. By order of the Germans, the tombstones were used for construction purposes and the wall was torn down.
On October 9, 1964, the Minister of Municipal Economy—following a resolution of the Presidium of the City National Council in Kałuszyn—signed an order to close the cemetery. The accompanying documentation stated the following: “The cemetery is located at Pocztowa Street and covers an area of 0.91 ha. It is closed for about 60 years and completely devastated (there are no traces). It remains unattended.” In the following years, the area was built over and, among other buildings, the current City Hall was built there. All above-ground traces of the cemetery have disappeared. There is no fence, and the borders are unclear. There is no form of commemoration of any kind. Several discovered matzevot are in the collection of a private collector. Some tombstones are also placed at the entrance to the church in Kałuszyn. The owner of the area is the Kałuszyn Commune.