Kalisz Pomorski Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Kalisz Pomorskie was probably established in 1817 between Dramburgerstrasse (now Drawska Street) and Koppenberg (now Grunwaldzka Street). The Kalisz community already had a synagogue, although it was not very numerous. The community consisted of several families from the 18th century, which until then had been burying their dead in the Jewish cemetery in Mirosławiec. It was only after the emancipation edict of Frederick William III that the number of Jewish inhabitants of the city began to increase.
In the 1840s it reached almost 150 people, and in the second half of the century it started to decline again – in 1871, it was still 102 people, in 1895 it was only 43. However, the original area of the cemetery soon turned out to be too small and was soon enlarged for the adjacent plot. In 1861, both parts of the necropolis were surrounded by a wall. It is estimated that about 200 people were buried in the Kalisz cemetery. The cemetery survived Kristallnacht, when the Kalisz synagogue was devastated and it avoided being set on fire only thanks to the proximity of other buildings and World War II. Only in the mid 1960s, most of the tombstones were removed from their places and stored at the edge of the cemetery and some were destroyed. Currently, it is an area partially overgrown with bushes, partially ordered, where no fragments of matzevot can be found. No marking.
(West Pomeranian Encyclopedia; http://pomeranica.pl)
In the spring of 2010, representatives of the Kalisz Historical and Cultural Association with Mjr. Andrzej Szutowicz from Drawno, found one whole tombstone underground and parts of several others with epitaphs in Hebrew and German.