Kalnyk Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Kal’nyk was established in the 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1815. The cemetery is depicted on a cadastral map of 1865. It later expanded. The latest remaining tombstone dates from 1927.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the Kal’nyk area during the 18th century. In 1880, there were 212 Jews living in the town. In 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population decreased to 163 individuals. Hungarians arrived in Kal’nyk in March 1939, with the consequence that Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. By 1941, Jews from the area were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. A few families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Kal’nyk were deported to Auschwitz late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.