Janow Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Janów is located at Kościuszki, north of the market square, on the west side of the road leading north from the market square, behind the former marketplace buildings. The cemetery’s exact establishment date is unknown, though it was probably founded in the 18th century. Until 1790, Jews from Częstochowa were buried in the cemetery. During World War II, the cemetery was devastated, and continued to fall into further disrepair in the post-war years. About 10 tombstones have survived in the area of 1.2 hectares, the oldest of which dates to 1791.
There are another 10 damaged matzevot in the cemetery. In the 1990s, thanks to the Jacek Salzberg Family Foundation from the USA, renovation work was carried out in the cemetery and a fence was built. There was also an entrance gate, on which a commemorative plaque was placed. By the decision of June 17, 1986, the cemetery was included in the Register of Monuments (No 401/86).
Janów was granted town rights in 1696, and its foundation status was downgraded in 1870. In 1789, 70 Jews lived in Janów, constituting 25% of the total population, and in 1861, 448 Jews lived in the town (46.7%). Around 1900, the independent Jewish community (kehilla) was established, which included Jews from Janów and Olsztyn. In 1929, the community had 256 families. As of January 1, 1938, 336 people belonged to the kehilla. During World War II, in September 1942, the Germans deported 180 Jews from the town to Koniecpol, and from there, on October 7, 1942, to Treblinka.