Jankmajtis Jewish Cemetery Two
There were two Jewish cemeteries in the modern territory of Jánkmajtis. This cemetery was in use as early as 1884, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to this year. The latest discovered tombstone was erected in 1933. These are the only preserved tombstones that have been found in the cemetery. The cemetery has been fenced.
The settlement of Jánkmajtis was established in 1950 by merger of two villages: Jánk and Matis. In 1880, the village of Jánk had a total population of 875, 58 of whom were Jews. That same year, the village of Majtis had a total population of 380, 15 of whom were Jews. In 1941 Jánk had 60 Jews, while Majtis had 12 Jewish residents. On May 31, 1944, the fourth deportation by train to Auschwitz was boarded in the Mátészalka Ghetto, which included the Jews of Jánk and Majtis.