Jankmajtis Jewish Cemetery One
The Jewish cemetery of Gacsály existed as early as 1895, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1935, which is the date marked on the most recent tombstone found in the cemetery. The cemetery has been partially fenced.
The first Jews settled in Gacsály around the end of the 18th century. There were 51 Jews living there in 1840, and 43 in 1880. After this, the population of the Jewish community began to increase. By 1910, there were 76 Jews in Gacsály, and 60 in 1941. The community joined the Orthodox stream. There was a Chevra Kadisha (burial society) and a synagogue, which was built around the beginning of the 20th century. In 1941, 15 young Jews were sent to forced labor service. The Jewish residents were gathered in the local Protestant school, together with Jews from nearby villages. Later, they were sent to Mateszalka. In late May, they were deported to Auschwitz. The Jewish community of Gacsály has ceased to exist.