Jagodnjak Jewish Cemetery
There is no information about the existence of an organized Jewish community in Jagodnjak. There is an abandoned Jewish cemetery with several tombstones. The oldest grave dates to 1897 and the latest to 1902.
Jagodnjak is a village and municipality in Osijek-Baranja County. The first written mention of the village dates to 1323 at which time was called Kachfolua. In the 16th century, the entire area was under the rule of the Ottoman Empire. In 1591 the village was inhabited by Hungarians and 25 citizens. Serbian settlers came to the village in 1687 after the defeat of the Turks. By the mid-18th century, the village was inhabited by Serbs, Croats, and Germans. In addition to agriculture and animal husbandry, the settlement’s economy was traditionally based on feed production, construction, and trade. In 1851 the Hungarian geographer Fenjes Elek described the village as follows: “Serbian-Hungarian-German village…. 2 miles to Osijek: 1300 non-believers, 300 Hungarian and German Lutherans, 200 Catholics, 15 Jews.”