Ivano-Frankove Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It appears on maps of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the 1860s and 1880s. It was also marked on maps of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (WIG) of 1939. According to locals, the cemetery was demolished in 1950s-1960s. The cemetery gate was on the Sadova Street. Jews settled in 1614. The Jewish population of the locality was nearly annihilated during the Khmelnytsky massacres of 1648-49. In the 17th-18th century, the Jews were engaged in trade and leasing. The independent Jewish community emerged in the late 18th century. The Jewish population reached 968 (53.2% of the total population) in 1880. In the late 19th century, the largest meadery in Galicia owned by Itzhak Blat was functioning. In 1876, Yosef-Yitzhak Katz fulfilled the duties of a rabbi in the town, and he was replaced by Menachem Margulius in 1910. The Belz Hasidism predominated. In 1910, the Jewish population reached a peak of 1,117 (43% of the total population). In 1901, the Zionist organization Ahavat Yisrael was established. The Jewish population reduced to 490 (27.1% of the total population) in 1921. The Wehrmacht troops occupied Ivano-Frankove on June 28, 1941. A ghetto was established in summer 1942 and liquidated in November 1942. Some young Jews had survived by escaping to the forests.