Husyatyn New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Ternopyl
District
Husyatyn
Settlement
Husyatyn
Site address
Husyatyn New Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
49.0738729 26.1936965
Perimeter length
794 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
There are no tombstones preserved on the site. Some tombstone fragments are preserved on the former collective farm “Communist” (now Chabarivka, 49.0807114 26.1408245), where they were used for construction. Moreover, some fragments of tombstones are laid near the Husyatyn synagogue.
Date of oldest tombstone
1810 (the oldest found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1917 (the earliest found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
In the courtyard of the house there is tziyun of one Mordekhai Shraga Feibish Friedman (d. 1894), the first admor of the Husiatin dynasty, son of Israel of Ruzhin, and his son, Shalom Yosef Friedman (d. 1886), erected by "Ohalei Tzadikim". There is also a memorial sign marking the demolished cemetery.
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery is marked on a map of Galicia and Bukovina from 1861-1864.  546 Jews were registered as living there in July 6th, 1941 . The Jewish cemetery was demolished after WWII in the 1950s-60s ans subsequently built over.

View 3D model