Hupalovka (Vesela Yevreyka) Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given that the oldest preserved tombstone dates to the mid 19th century, it can be gathered the cemetery was founded in that era. It cannot be found marked on old maps of the region.
Jewish Colony Number 2 in Veselaya (Ukr. Весела, Rus. Весёлая) was founded in 1845 by Jews from Vitebsk and Mogilev Governorates in present-day Belarus. The popular nickname Hupalivka (Ukr. Гупалівка, Rus. Гупаловка) was later adopted officially. In 1893, the colony had 44 Jewish, 7 German, and 1 Russian households. The total population was 436 in 1897. The community maintained a synagogue and a Jewish elementary school opened in the early 20th century. New Jewish settlers from Podolia arrived in the 1920’s and a collective farm was established in 1929. Before the arrival of the Germans in 1941, Hupalivka had a total population of 275. 63 Jews were murdered during the German occupation. Hupalivka had a Jewish presence after World War II. The village was liquidated in 1968 as economically unviable and the residents were resettled.
It is not known when exactly the cemetery was founded. The earliest tombstone dates to 1860.