Hromokley Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kirovohrad
District
Bobrynets
Settlement
Bereslavka
Site address
The cemetery does not have an address. Enter Bereslavka from the northern road. Turn left near the lake, continuing down this road for around 300 metres before turning left. Follow the dirt road for around 1.9 kilometres to the field. After this, continue on foot for around 330 metres into the small overgrown area, where you will find the cemetery site.
GPS coordinates
47.893244,32.322640
Perimeter length
101 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery is located in a wooded area. The cemetery site was presumably once larger than it is today, and extended into the ploughed field adjacent to the cemetery. There is an abandoned well on the site, as well as two stones which resemble matzevot.
Number of existing gravestones
N/A
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. However, it can be found marked on maps of the region from 1870 and 1941. Presumably, it emerged in the late 19th century and remained in use until WWII. According to locals, the cemetery was demolished some time around the 1960s-70s, after which it has been used for agriculture.

According to locals, Lev Trotsky’s mother was buried here. The site was demolished to make space for farming in the 60s and 70s. Moreover, the site has been used by the inhabitants of Bereslavka for various purposes.

In 1734 the region came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of Novorossiya, from 1802, it belonged to the Kherson Governorate (Khersonskaya gubernia).
Hromokley (or Hromokleya) was founded in 1857 by 16 families as a Jewish agricultural colony. In 1886, it numbered 254 colonists and in 1896, 48 households were inhabited with 334 people. Hromokley by the end of the 19th century had a synagogue and a cheder.

The Jewish population of Hromokley suffered greatly during World War I and the civil war in Russia. In 1918-1919 pogroms, and in 1921-1922, starvation and the spanish flu claimed a number of victims.

After 1922, Hromokley became a part of Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. In 1827, the synagogue was closed, soon after this a Yiddish school was established, which operated until 1938. In 1929-1930, kolkhozes were established, and in 1932-1933 Jews in Hromokley suffered due to the Holodomor.
The vast majority of Jews in Hromokley were murdered in Holocaust.
Since 1970 the village no longer exists.
The Jewish cemetery of Hromokley is totally demolished.

View 3D model