Hremyach Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Its existence is recorded on the database of the Committee for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage. The impression of a moat can be seen around the cemetery’s borders.
The earliest evidence of a Jewish community in Hremyach dates back to the 19th century. According to the 1897 census, 353 Jews lived in the town (10.7% of the total population), and a house of prayer had already been established. In 1919, the Jewish community survived a pogrom in which 15 Jews were killed. By 1926, the Jewish population had significantly dropped; only 41 Jews lived in the town. According to the 1939 census only 26 Jews remained. Hremyach was occupied from December 1941 until September 1943. Today there is no available information about the number of Jews in Hremyach. The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The information about the cemetery is recorded on the database of the Committee for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage. The last known Hasidic Jewish burial took place in 1940. The cemetery boundaries have remained unchanged since 1939. In the 5-7 years after the war, the stones were used for construction.