Horodok Old Jewish Cemetery
Presumably. the cemetery was established in 18th century. According to local historians, it was closed yet in 1770s by Austrian government, and the New cemetery at Zastavs’ka Street was opened at the same period. However, the cemetery is marked on the Austro-Hungarian map of 1860s. The cemetery was destroyed during WWII and the tombstones were used for a road construction. As expedition of Lo TIshkakh project (2012) notes, the old brick fencing of the cemetery is partly preserved.
Jews settled in Horodok in 1445. In 1765, 788 Jews resided in Horodok (Greiding, in Yiddish). In the 17th and 18th century, the Jews were mainly engaged in commerce. The Jewish population was 2,952 (29,18% of the total population) in 1880 and slightly increased to 3,610 (30,4% of the total population) in 1900. In 1910, 3,866 Jews were inhabitants of the town. At the same year, a synagogue, Beit-Midrash and yeshiva operated. Belz Hasidism predominated in Horodok. After WWI, the Jewish population declined to 2,545 (24% of the total population) by 1921. In the interwar period, all the branches of the Zionist movements were active in Horodok. In 1927, a Bikur-Holim Society was established. In 1931, the Jewish population was 3,281. The Wehrmacht troops captured Horodok on June 29, 1941. During two actions on May 7 and August 13, 1942, many Jews of Horodok were deported to labour camps and the Belzec death camp. On December 26, 1942, 1,300 inhabitants of the Horodok ghetto were murdered. The labour camp was liquidated in May 1943. 20 Jews stood alive by the moment of liberation in July 1944.