Horodok Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The oldest preserved gravestone relates to the first half of the 19th century, so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. The site was marked on a Russian map of the 19th century and Polish map of 1939, but it was not as a Jewish cemetery.
Jews are known from 1630. In 1648-49, they were attacked by the Cossacks troops during the Khmelnytskyi uprising. The number of the Jewish population was 645 people in 1765. Jews were engaged in trade and crafts in the 19th century. By 1897, the Jewish population stood at 3,194 (37% of the total population). This figure declined to 2,329 in 1939. The Wehrmacht troops occupied Horodok on July 8, 1941. The major part of the Jewish community of Horodok was expelled to Yarmolyntsi in October 1942, where they were murdered. The remaining 103 Jews were killed in winter 1942.