Horodnytsia Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Zhytomyr
District
Novograd-Volynsky
Settlement
Horodnytsia
Site address
The cemetery is located on the north bank of the River Sluch, around 250m south of the T0616 highway. To reach it, start at the ANP petrol station at the southeast exit of Horodnytsia, follow the highway roughly 210m southeast towards Khodurky, taking the first right and following the road until you reach a t-junction, before taking the left route across the River Krival’. Park at the end of the road and head approximately 200m into the field, where the cemetery is located.
GPS coordinates
50.79961, 27.32154
Perimeter length
714 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is fenced in front and from two sides. From the rear there is a descent to the river. The concrete fence is 1m high. The cemetery is not fenced from the side of the river (south-west part of the cemetery), but due to the slope it would be difficult to construct a fence there.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is covered with dense seasonal vegetation, partly overgrown with bushes. It needs clearing. There is a steep fall down to the side of the river. There are no Ohels or the pre-burial buildings, which used to exist. On the territory there is an older and newer part of the cemetery with a pit between them. Because of this, there are two entrances.
Number of existing gravestones
There are about 200 gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1914 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2018 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Low
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery establishment is unknown. The cemetery emerged no later than the early 20th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1914.

The Jewish community of Horodnytsia (Ukr. Городниця, Rus. Городница, Yid. האָראָדניצע) numbered 427 in 1847. By 1897, the Jewish population had grown to 1,310, which was 57% of the total population. The community maintained a synagogue and beit midrash. Many local residents, Jews and gentiles alike, worked at the local porcelain factory. In 1939, there were 1,212 Jews in Horodnytsia. About 200 Jews were murdered by the Nazis, some were able to escape.
It is not known when the cemetery was founded. According to the 1994–95 survey of the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), the earliest tombstone dates back to 1906. The fence was renovated in the 1950s, a new fence has since been erected.