Holubyne Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Holubyne was established in the late 18th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1801. The most recent preserved gravestone relates to 2002.
The first Jews arrived in the area of Holubyne in the mid-18th century. In 1768 there was one Jewish family. By 1830, 30 Jews were living in the village. In 1851 there were still 30 Jews. In 1880 the Jewish population had increased to 121 (15,6% of the total population). By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population had increased to 186. Jews were involved in the day-to-day life of Holubyne: 9 were tradesmen, 6 were artisans, few Jews were farmers and flour mill operators. In March 1939, the Hungarian forces occupied Holubyne, and the Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. 209 Jews were living in Holubyne in 1941. Some Jews were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most of them perished. In August 1941 some Jews without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to German-occupied Kamyanets’-Podils’kyy and shot there. The remaining Jews of Holubyne were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.