Hodasz Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Hodász was in use as early as 1875, since the earliest gravestone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1951 – the year which is marked on the latest discovered tombstone. The cemetery is fenced and maintained.
By 1840, 192 Jews were living in Hodász. In 1848, 142 Jews (38 families) lived in the town and worked mainly as merchants, tailors, bakers, teachers, and furriers. In 1880, Jews constituted 236 individuals among the town’s total population of 1,093. In the first decades of the 20th century, local Jewish families played a major role in the social and economic life of the village.
Shops owned by Jews were opened, including a kosher butchery, and Jewish traders transported calves that were bought in the area. 191 Jews lived in Hodász in 1939, and 167 in 1941. In 1944 there were 162 members of the Orthodox community of Hodász, including 28 of whom were taxpayers. The community had a rabbi and 3 employees. In 1944, 40 Jewish families were deported from the village. Most of local Jews were killed in the Holocaust. The synagogue was demolished in the late 1950’s. Today, no Jews live in the settlement.