Hlyboka Jewish Cemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Presumably, the cemetery was operating from the early 20th century. It can be supposed that after WWII it was partly demolished, and later overbuilt.
Jews were present in the 1430s. The first Jewish settlers were from Moldova. The Jewish population was engaged in trading, crafting and agriculture. The Jewish community of Hlyboka emerged when a synagogue was constructed, and a cemetery was founded. Two synagogues existed. In 1904–30, Bikur Holim society operated. The 1910 census listed 401 Jews (0,7% of the total population). From November 1918 until June 1940 Hlyboka was under Romanian rule and renamed to Adâncata. In 1940, around 130 Jews resided. On July 5, 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied the town. The majority of the Jewish population was murdered during the first days of the occupation. Few survived Jews moved to Chernivtsi or the US. The monument was erected at the Jewish graveyard, where the perished ones were buried. In the 1990s, two Jewish families were present in Hlyboka.