Haysyn Oldest Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery is unknown. It can be found marked on maps of the region from 1913. According to a local historian, the
Teh exact period of establishment of the cemetery is unknown. The cemetery is marked on the maps of 1913. According to the local historian, the cemetery was demolished around the 1930s. The site remained vacant for a long time, but residential buildings were eventually constructed around the 1960s.
Jews are first mentioned in Haysyn in 1765, when 62 Jews in 18 houses lived there. The rabbi was Hirsch Kisselovich. By 1784 the population had grown 3 fold to 175 Jews.
In 1800 there were 10 merchants in Haysyn and by 1805 the number doubled, all the merchants were Jewish. In 1834 the Jewish community numbered 1,692 people. There was a synagogue, a beit midrash, 2 prayer houses and 6 chadarim. There were three rabbis, 2 szames, 4 gabbais, one reader of the Torah scroll, 2 people blowing the shofar on Rosh-Hashana. The community also had two shokhet and 3 mohels.
In 1847, the Jewish population numbered 2,018 people. In 1853 there was a wooden synagogue (with a congregation of 504), 3 prayer houses (for 309, 287, 137 people respectively). The rabbi was Elkrois.
In 1862, there was a large stone synagogue and 4 prayer houses. The rabbi was David Bernstein.
By 1899, the Jewish population had grown to 6,470 people. At the end of the 19th century the rabbi was Avraham-Iosl Moishevich Batkes.
The Jewish community survived a wave of pogroms in 1905.
In 1917, 7,000 Jews, more than 50% of the total population, lived in the town. They were engaged in trade and crafting. There were a series of pogroms in 1917 and 1919, 1920, with around 400 Jews killed.
By 1926, the Jewish population was 5,190 (33.9%). In the 1930s, a large synagogue was destroyed and a small one was closed, as was the school. Before the war in 1939, the Jewish population numbered 4,109 people (28%).
Haysyn was occupied on July 25, 1941. The first execution of 1,300 Jews was on September 16th 1941. And during the second one, one month later, more than 4,000 were executed. The killings went on until May 1942. Local Jews were concentrated in the ghetto together with Jews from Bessarabia and Bukovina. They were used as labor for the construction of the bridge on the way to Vinnitsa. Most of them died during the construction and the rest were murdered. By the end of the occupation, March 1944, only around 20 Jews were left.
After WWII the Jewish population was around 1,000 Jews. In 1959, it had grown to 1,600 Jews (9%), before dropping to 700 (2.8%) by 1979. The Jewish community was officially renewed in the 1990s and in 1993, 228 Jews lived in the town. As of 1998 there were 150 Jews in the community, 9 ghetto inmates among them.
Avrahm Yarmolinsky, an author, translator, was born in 1890 in Haysyn. David Bromberg, poet, wrote in Yiddish, was born in 1915 in Haysyn. Joseph Kerler, poet, wrote in Yiddish, was born in 1918 in Haysyn.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The cemetery is marked on maps from 1913. The cemetery was demolished, built over with multi-storey buildings. According to a historian, the cemetery was demolished around the 1930s and built upon around the 1960s.