Hajduszoboszlo Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Hajdúszoboszló was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The latest tombstone found in the cemetery was erected in 1941. Most of the historical area of the cemetery has been fenced. One of the tombstones includes a Holocaust memorial.
The Jewish community in Hajdúszoboszló was established around 1826 and by 1840, there were 65 Jews living the village. By 1880, Jews accounted for 403 people of the total population 1880 (13,038). Over the course of the subsequent decades, the Jewish population was as follows: 554 in 1910, 459 in 1920, 480 in 1930, and 490 in 1941. The Chevra Kadisha (burial society) was established in 1860 to maintain the Jewish cemetery and to organize funerals. Rabbi Moshe Katz (d.1895) is buried in the cemetery.
A monument was erected in 1990 which is dedicated to the 737 local people who died during World War II. Carved on the back of the main column are human heads lost among flames referring to the horrors of the war. One of the columns displays the names of Jews from the city who died in the Holocaust.