Goworowo Jewish Cemetery
The first records of Jewish settlement in Goworowo date to the 18th century. In 1921, there were 1,085 Jews living in Goworowo, constituting 91.4% of the village’s total population of 1,187 inhabitants. The largest number of Jews living in the Goworowo Commune at a given point was 1,228. In mid-September 1939, the Germans forced all Jews to leave the village.
The cemetery is located about 1 km south-east of the town centre, east of the village of Wólka Brzezińska, between the road to Brzeźno and the Orz River, near the railway line. The cemetery covers a plot of land shaped like a trapezoid with an area of approximately 1.5 hectares. The exact date of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, though it is mentioned in visit records in the Goworowo parish from 1781. In 1851, the cemetery was mentioned in a letter from the Government Commission for Internal and Religious Affairs to the Płock Governorate. In the interwar period, the area was surrounded by a stone wall. At the entrance, there was a building that served either as a funeral house or a caretaker’s apartment.
The cemetery was partially damaged during World War II. By order of the Germans, some matzevot were used to reinforce the roads and the driveway of the presbytery. Destruction of the cemetery continued after the war and some residents used tombstones for construction purposes. Almost all matzevot were removed, and the wall and buildings were torn down. A drainage ditch was dug in the southern part of the plot and the land is used as a meadow. The boundaries of the cemetery are visible thanks to an earth embankment, covered with trees and shrubs. In 1987, single tombstones were discovered in the cemetery’s land. In 1988, the authorities of Goworów took out the matzevot from the courtyard of the presbytery and placed them at the local library. After a few years, the tombstones were moved to the warehouse of the Commune Office.
The cemetery plot is private property, and it is listed in the Provincial Register of Monuments. There is no form of commemoration.