Goniadz Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery of the former Jewish community in Goniądz is located about 1 km south of the market square, in the village of Łazy, on the western side of the road from Goniądz to Downary and covers an irregularly shaped plot of land with an area of 1.28 hectares. The cemetery’s establishment date is unknown, though it was probably established in the 18th century. It was mentioned in the inventory of the church in Goniądz on September 24, 1782. In July 1941, after the outbreak of the German-Soviet war, 59 Jews and 3 Poles suspected of collaborating with the Soviet authorities were murdered and buried at the cemetery. The cemetery fell into disrepair during and after World War II. The area became forested during the period of the People’s Republic of Poland. There are only several dozen tombstones in various conditions, in the form of granite, sandstone, and concrete stelae, partially embedded in concrete frames and concrete stela bases. There are about 20 matzevot with legible inscriptions. The oldest identified tombstone is dated February 20, 1843 (the list of preserved tombstones is available on the website: https://cemetery.jewish.org.pl/list/c_72). The cemetery is unfenced, and its boundaries are imperceptible. The area is partly covered with mixed forest and self-seeding plants. The cemetery is not regularly maintained and there is no form of commemoration. According to data from 1991, the owner of the cemetery is the State Treasury. The facility is listed in the Municipal and Provincial register of monuments.
The first records of Jews in Goniądz come from the beginning of the 18th century. In 1921, 1,135 Jews lived in the town. In 1941, at least 116 Jews were murdered during a pogrom. Most of the Jews of Goniądz were killed by the Germans between 1942 and 1943 in Treblinka and Auschwitz-Birkenau.