Gemzse Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Gemzse existed as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The latest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to 1941. The cemetery is fenced and includes a memorial to the local Jews murdered in the Holocaust.
The first Jews settled in Gemzse around the mid-18th century. According to records, there were 38 Jews living in the village in 1828. In 1840, there were 125 Jews. The Jewish population subsequently began to decrease and, by 1941, just 64 Jews remained in the village. In 1941 the young Jewish men were sent to forced labour. In 1944, after the German occupation and immediately following Pesach, the Jews were sent to Kisvárda and were deported a few weeks later to Auschwitz at the end of May. Only a few Jews from Gemzse survived after the war and they did not remain in the village for long.