Gegeny Old Jewish Cemetery
Two Jewish cemeteries appear to have existed in Gégény. The older Jewish cemetery was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the 1870 cadastral map. The cemetery was destroyed at an unknown time.
Jews were already living in Gégény by the early 19th century. In 1828, the Jewish population numbered 31 people, and 111 in 1911. Presumably before 1925, the community used a local house for prayer, after which they built a synagogue on Hunyadi Street. From 1941 young Jews were sent to do forced labour. In the spring of 1944, the German army in Hungary and Hungarian authorities set up and transported the Jews to the ghettos. Gégény’s Jews transported to the Kisvarda Ghetto, and from there to Auschwitz on May 25.