Gegeny New Jewish Cemetery
Two Jewish cemeteries appear to have existed in Gégény. The newer Jewish cemetery was established after 1870, since it does not appear on the cadastral map of that year. The earliest gravestone found in this cemetery dates to 1926, while the most recent dates to 1945. The cemetery has been fenced.
Jews were already living in Gégény by the early 19th century. In 1828, the Jewish population numbered 31 people, and 111 in 1911. Presumably before 1925, the community used a local house for prayer, after which they built a synagogue on Hunyadi Street. From 1941 young Jews were sent to do forced labour. In the spring of 1944, the German army in Hungary and Hungarian authorities set up and transported the Jews to the ghettos. Gégény’s Jews transported to the Kisvarda Ghetto, and from there to Auschwitz on May 25.